Friday, January 3, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Fight


Fight.  It’s my first five-minute Friday and it feels as if this whole writing thing has been a fight.  I’ve read and I’ve read and I’ve talked and talked about writing.  I want to write.  I like to write.  I need to write.  It’s a fight with my own sense of perfection and to be liked to actually put the words on paper. 

The raw, honest words. 

So for months I’ve been following the five minute Friday and reading the words and thinking in my head of what I would write if I actually did participate in five-minute Friday.  Of course I had great imagery and language and stories to share, but only in my head.  Never put down in words.  But today at the start of a new year and the hope and possibility to come, I decide to write. 

It’s a cold, dark January Friday.  The day has come and gone.  The night stretches into the darkness.  The stars creeping out.  And I’ve given up the fight with myself.  Today I join the five minute Friday club.  Today I write for five minutes straight and wonder what will emerge.  Today for five minutes, at the computer, at night, I let my fingers move and my soul do the searching.  It feels good to know I’m writing with a host of saints, women, near and far.  I write and I know that I am not alone.  I write and I know that words bring each of us together. 

In the beginning was the Word and that Word will be with me till the end.  That Word binds each of us in community.  That Word is my source of hope and my inspiration to know that no matter what I write or how much I write, the Word will still be with me.   And for that I say, Amen.    

  

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I am privileged to be your neighbor this week for Five-Minute Friday...and it IS a privilege, too! So glad you decided to stop fighting yourself and join in this time and let The Word speak in you and through you. Blessings on your writing, your week, your new year so full of possibilities. And welcome to the club. I'd give you a hug if I could.

    Abbey @ Surviving Our Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Abbey! And your own powerful words. The year already feels full of possibility.

    ReplyDelete