Thursday, November 22, 2012

Trotting with Turkeys, and Stephen


The 4th Annual Turkey Trot Run/Walk is on Thanksgiving Day and you'll be in town.  We should walk together.

I don't run.

It's a walk.  I think plenty of people will be walking.  It'll be fun, and it's for a good cause.

Yes, but you don't KNOW that people are walking.

Right, but it says Run/Walk.  I can find out.

Again, I don't want to be the only ones walking, and they have to wait around for us to take down the finish line. That would be embarrassing. 

I'll find out if people walk and we won't be alone.  Plus, we are fast walkers.  I walked across Spain one summer.  I can keep up with the best of them.

Wait, you walked across Spain? Why don't you tell me about it???

Oh, Stephen.  We're going to walk the 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  It's for a good cause.  And we need to get some exercise with all the food we'll consume that day!

Yes, dear.

----

Thanksgiving morning and we're going to walk a 5K!

Wait, what??

Get up and let's go.  Registration begins at 7:30.  It's a beautiful day.

Did you find out if anyone else will be walking? I don't want to be a hayseed here.

Yes, people walk...

Look at all these people! None of them are wearing jeans. Why am I the only one wearing jeans?

Because we are walking, it's fine.  No one is discussing what we are wearing.

You don't know that. I feel so judged right now. We are such outsiders here in Missoura.

We are walking, we can walk.  It's all good.  Since when do you care what people think of you?

Since always. Look, even that old guy is wearing running pants. I hope we at least finish before him.

Don't start that.  We're just here to walk and support the Center for Human Services.  We should have brought walking sticks like that man!  Then we'd fit in with the crowd.

Right, just what I forgot to bring to a 5k race, my walking sticks... We are soo out of place right now.

There are plenty of other people who are going to walk.

Wait a second, why are our numbers red and everyone else's black? Is it because we're walking? Are they just assuming since I wore jeans that I'm walking? See, I told you they're judging us!

You checked the walking box on the registration form.

Oh, right...

Look the race is starting.  Let's go!  We want to be near the front of the walkers and get going... Ugh, I really wish I had a walking stick. I need to get a good one. When I walked across Spain I kept losing mine.

Why does that not surprise me? Why are so you stuck on these walking sticks? Look, that guy is just carrying his right now. That's just added weight.

We're making good time and keeping a good pace. There's the 1 mile marker!

Yes, but here come the first runners passing us for the finish line.

Woo hoo!! Good job everyone!!!

What are you doing?

I'm cheering for them as they finish... Yea, way to go!!

You are so embarrassing.

I did this in seminary when the Columbus Marathon came through town.

I'm sure you did.

I'm pretty sure I woke up the other people in the dorm.

Again, I'm sure you did.

Look, there's the finish line! Wasn't this fun?

Yes, great fun. Half the parking lot is empty. Can we go get coffee now?

----

Happy Thanksgiving!  For all the journeys this past year, whether full of ease or challenges, whether alone or in the company of community, I am grateful.  Stephen and I will continue to take one step in front of the other.  And we'll see how many more embarrassments are to come.

-----

If you want to learn more about the Center for Human Services and the awesome work they are doing with people with disabilities check out their website:  http://www.chs-mo.org/

1 comment: